PECompact v2.96 can't open project saved in older version?

Started by hai2hai, October 13, 2008, 11:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hai2hai

Hi,

I just tested new version v2.96 Trial. It's seem that this new version can't load the project which saved in v2.94 (Student build)? It says: "Error loading project."

Thanks!

Jeremy Collake

I fixed this problem in v2.96.2. Please make sure you are using it. I will check to make sure it got uploaded correctly (update: it appears to have been).

If you are using the newest version and still see this, just let me know and I'll take a closer look.

Thanks
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

hai2hai

Yeah, v2.96.2 trial (Oct 9 2008) already fixed this problem.

Did you have build the setup of the free student v2.96.2 or can I extend the trial days?
I downloaded the student version here but it is not v2.96.2, it's still v2.96

Is there any difference bwt freeware-only PECompact license & Retail PECompact license (in both price & features)

Can I have continuous latest version (each time you have new release) when I buy this product and which kind of license I should buy (freeware-only license or retail license)?

Jeremy Collake

The student build apparently didn't get updated to v2.96.2, I will fix that. It really isn't the student build anymore, it will just be a copy of the trial build.

I will release a new beta soon that extends the trial period, but that's all I can offer in that regard. I've always wanted to give away PECompact to as many people as possible .. but lately the abuse of it by malware authors has reached epidemic proportions. This abuse hurts everyone, so I reluctantly am going to have to get more strict on my licensing.

Depending on your use of PECompact, you can choose which license to buy. If none of the options are affordable enough for you, email me at jeremy.collake@gmail.com and I'll see if we can work something out. I don't want to exclude people from access to PECompact, I still want as many people to use it as possible.

The lifetime licenses cost a little more than the 1 year subscription to updates.

I am considering creating a donation-ware type thing like Process Lasso. Where users can donate at least $5 to get the freeware license of PECompact. Maybe if they donate $20 or more they can get a lifetime freeware license for PECompact. The effect this would have would be allowing people who can at least authenticate themselves to use it..

If you purchase ANY license of PECompact, even the freeware license I plan to ask for donations for, then you get the retail build. The difference between it and the trial build is that it includes more CODECs (such as cipher codecs), more loader plug-ins, and of course doesn't expire.

Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.